How to play online with friends - Animal Crossing: New Horizons
There are several methods for online multiplayer in the Animal Crossing: New Horizons game. You can play either online mode (through the internet) or local mode (with nearby friends who have another console and copy of the game).
If you choose to play online, bear in mind that it will require a Nintendo Switch Online membership. Local multiplayer (offline mode) is free.
This article will explain the steps required to play in online mode with other Animal Crossing members around the world. You can play with up to 7 other players online on the same island. The which are steps needed for offline mode are similar, you'll need to just choose "Local play" in the options instead.
Visiting other players' islands in Animal Crossing: New Horizons
If you have a Nintendo Switch Online membership, you can visit other islands and receive visitors by sharing your Dodo Code.
When visiting someone's island, you can purchase from their shops (if they are open) or sell your items. Your native fruits will be more valuable on this island if their native fruit is different from yours.
The process of visiting others' island in Animal Crossing is the following:
- Go to your island airport and speak to Orville
- Select "I wanna fly!"
- Select "I want to visit someone."
- Choose the mode you want to use (in this case, "Online play")
- Now, you can either search for a friend or "Search via Dodo Code". If you are using NookFriends, you will need to "Search via Dodo Code".
- Enter the Dodo Code of the island you want to visit.
What is a Dodo Code?
A Dodo Code is a 5 character code that will give you access to visit another person's island. You're able to find other members Dodo Codes in NookFriends. Below you're able to see where you able to find their Dodo Code on our website:
Inviting others to your island in Animal Crossing: New Horizons
The process to follow is the following:
- Go to your island's airport and speak to Orville
- Choose "I want visitors."
- Choose the mode you want to use (in this case, "Online play").
- Choose who you want to invite. If you are using NookFriends, you will have to select "Invite via Dodo Code"
- Choose "The more, the merrier", so anyone can visit your Animal Crossing island.
- Select "Yeah, invite anyone", to accept.
What are my visitors allowed to do when visiting my island?
Be careful when inviting others to your island, since all your visitors will be able to:
- Pick up any items you have left lying around in your island.
- Pluck your flowers.
- Share your trees.
To prevent this from happening, make sure that you surround with a fence those items or trees that you don't want others to access.
In addition to the previous actions, your best friends will be able to:
- Use a shovel.
- Use an axe.
Sometimes, when trying to visit another island, you will receive the following message from Orville:
Wuh-oh! Looks like we’re getting interference
This can be due to one of the following two reasons:
- Someone else is flying to the same island at the same time
- Someone on the island you are trying to visit is using their Nook phone.
The solution in both cases is the same: patience. You will have to wait a bit and try again until the island is available for you to visit.
Closing your island.
You can close the island in one of the following ways:
- Quick method: press the "-" button in your Switch and press "End the session". This will automatically quick everyone out and finish the session. If you want to invite people again, you will have to obtain a new dodo code.
- Airport method: go and talk to Orville again once your visitors have left. Ask him to close your island and he will close the gates for you.
We hope you liked this article. Remember to use NookFriends to share your Dodo Codes and visit other islands!